DANA ČUPKOVÁ is a founder and design principal of EPIPHYTE Lab. She currently holds a Lucian & Rita Caste Assistant Professorship at the Carnegie Mellon School of Architecture. From 2005-2012 she was a Visiting Assistant Professor at the Cornell University Department of Architecture. Before founding EPIPHYTE Lab, Dana directed the architectural design practice DCm-STUDIO. She received a graduate degree of Engineer Architect (Ing. Arch.) from the Faculty of Architecture and Urban Design at the Slovak University of Technology in Bratislava, Slovakia and a Master of Architecture degree from School of the Arts and Architecture at the UCLA, where she was awarded the Unrestricted University Fellowship, the Mimi Perloff Award, and the Kate Neal Kinley Memorial Fellowship for outstanding design work. Among others she has worked with Smith-Miller + Hawkinson Architects, Stan Allen Architect and RUR Architecture in New York City, and T.R. Hamzah & Yeang in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Dana's design for the Sandra Gering Gallery in Chelsea was honored in a "New York Designs 2005: So what’s the big idea?" lecture series competition sponsored by The Architectural League of New York. Her work has been published and exhibited internationally, including a feature in the book Young European Architects, published by DAAB GmbH in Köln. Dana’s current academic research is underpinned by systems thinking and focuses on adaptive methods for systemic integration of discreet energy harvesting systems into architectural membranes that perform on multiple interlinked scales while responding to specific climactic and socio-political conditions. Her work has been supported by New York State Council on the Arts, the AIA Arnold W. Brunner Grant, the Cornell University Faculty Innovation in Teaching Grant, and recognized by ACADIA, an international network of digital design researchers and professionals. Dana currently serves on ACADIA Board of Directors. Her practices deal with both real and speculative projects exploring spatial organizations derived through the systematic subversion of normative architectural models and their adaptation to local ecologies.
- Dana Cupkova Portfolio Website 2015
- Dana Cupkova elected to ACADIA Board of Directors
- ELICITING ENVIRONMENTS | ACTUATING RESPONSE: A mini-symposium and exhibition focused on emerging design trends that embed adaptive behavior into architectural matter
- EnCoding Architecture Conference talk
- Symposium focuses on "Sustaining Sustainability"
- Sustaining Sustainability: Alternative Approaches in Urban Ecology and Architecture | Green Negligée
- Design for Biodiversity: Architectural Responses to Urban Ecology
- Cupkova and Pratt receive grant to develop adaptive reuse of Eastern European housing
- Imminent Ecologies
- Strauch Symposium on Sustainable Design | Part 2 - Methods
- Sustainable architecture project receives grant funding
- Integrated Digital Design Environment for Sustainable Architecture, ACSF Academic Venture Fund
- COMPONENT SYSTEMS Exhibition at Cornell
- ADAPTIVE COMPONENT SYSTEMS: From Prefabrication to Operative Ecologies
- DCm-STUDIO, LLC